CUP TALK: 49ers head coach sits down to discuss 2010 World Cup

Every four years, the world gets together to partake in soccer’s greatest event, the FIFA World Cup. Starting on June 11, after two years of intense qualification rounds, 32 teams from every part of the globe will step on to the stage in South Africa for the ultimate prize of being called the best in the world.

Francisco Juanillo recently caught up with Long Beach State women’s soccer head coach Mauricio Ingrassia to discuss what he expects of the tournament. Ingrassia will attend his fifth consecutive World Cup next month, where he believes Africa will make this tournament a very special one.

Francisco Juanillo: As a former player, coach and fan of the game, what excites you most about the World Cup?

Mauricio Ingrassia: It’s the pinnacle of our sport and it only happens every four years. It’s definitely a special event with the energy and the passion. And for me, it’s special because my first match was in 1978. I was 6 (years old) and it was Argentina versus Peru. The game ended, 6-0, and I vividly remember every celebration, and I remember the emotion and passion. It brings everyone together.

FJ: This is the first time the tournament is being hosted in the continent of Africa. What do you think South Africa and the continent will offer to the game?

MI: It’s the game of the people. Social and economical backgrounds go out the window when it comes to soccer. I think Africa is the next frontier.

You have seen a lot of African talent be exported to Europe from when they are young, and now they are playing on some of the top teams in Europe. I think taking the cup to South Africa was a great move because this is going to ignite that continent for the next 10-15 years.

FJ: Now let’s talk about the teams. The U.S. had a disappointing World Cup in 2006 when they were eliminated in the group stage; however, they had a great Confederations Cup last year when they lost in the final to Brazil. How do you expect them to do this year?

MI: I think they’re in a tough group (U.S., England, Algeria and Slovenia), tougher than what people think. We’re at a point (in the game) when getting out of the group is an accomplishment.

I definitely like that we have a guy like Landon Donavan that went overseas and can be the leader of the team. We’re (Team USA) always going to be gritty, we always have great goalkeeping and the team is always tough. But the first game against England is going to be difficult. It being the first game off the bat, it will set the tone (for the tournament). But I’m hopeful.

FJ: And I know you grew up in Argentina and they are your team as well. How do you expect them to do at this World Cup?

MI: I think Argentina needs to score first. Their coach (Diego Maradona) may have been one of the greatest players ever, but he lacks coaching experience. And you can see in the players that when adversity hits and they look to the sidelines, I’m not sure they get all they need to get confidence and tools to solve the game. So if they score first, it’ll give them all the confidence.

I think if they do that, they can win the World Cup because they have the best attacking players in the world. You have (Lionel) Messi scoring over 30 goals (in Spain), you have (Gonzalo) Higuain scoring over 20 goals (in Spain], you have [Carlos] Tevez tearing it up in the English Premier League and [Diego Milito] in the final of the Champions League, I mean freaking A.

We would take one of them here in the U.S. and when you’re talking about four of the best strikers in the world, including the best player of the world [Messi], and with Maradona, he’s going to give them that passion and adrenaline. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room.

FJ: Aside from both your teams, who else do you think has what it takes to win it all?

MI: I just think Brazil is unbelievable. They won against Argentina, 3-1, [last year] and they look very good. They’re going to be very difficult to beat. Now there are also some other teams that look good. I think England, with [Fabio] Capello, they have the players, but were missing his mentality, and he is doing a good job with them. Obviously you have to like Spain; although, historically when they come in with a good team and it comes down to it, they never quite do it. And the Dutch, same thing with Spain, they get there and something always happens at an impacting moment. It’s momentum. It’s a short tournament and a lot has to go your way.

FJ: Who do you think is going to be the breakout player of the tournament?

MI: For me, it’s going to be Angel Di Maria. I think he’s going to be the one that stands out. And both Messi and Di Maria are from my hometown [Rosario] so I have to root for both of them. I think it’s going to be difficult for Messi because I think [critics] are after him. … At Barcelona, there are so many weapons that just help him shine. At Argentina, he’s just going to sit and they’re going to give him the ball to create.

FJ: Which player left out of the World Cup do you think should have made it to the tournament?

MI: I’m not a big [Estaban] Cambiasso fan, but the way he was playing was real good. I think Maradona is going for a different, younger mentality. The player I wanted to see in the World Cup was [Salvador] Cabañas for Paraguay (Cabañas was shot in the head this past January in a bar in Mexico City). But it happens every year; even Maradona was left out of the World Cup in ’78 when he led the league in scoring.

Follow Cup Talk all summer in the Summer 49er and read Francisco Juanillo’s blog at http://fjjcuptalk.blogspot.com/ for more on the World Cup.