Men's Water Polo, Sports

No. 10 LBSU splits first day at NorCal Invitational

No. 10 Long Beach State salvaged a split in the first day of the NorCal Invitational at Diablo Valley College on Saturday.

The 49ers (3-2) rebounded from an 11-9 loss in the opener against No. 7 Pacific, squeaking by Air Force, 10-9, in their second match.

In the first game, The Beach and the Tigers were never separated by more than three goals.

The defenses came out ready to play, and LBSU shut out Pacific in the first quarter to take a 1-0 lead.

The offenses caught fire in the second quarter as the 49ers and the Tigers each put up five goals in the frame. The lead changed hands three times in the quarter, but The Beach scored two goals in the final 1:26 of the half to retake the one-goal advantage.

Pacific held the 49ers scoreless in the third quarter on its way to taking a 7-6 lead to the final frame.

The ‘Niners scored three times in the fourth in an effort to complete the comeback, but a couple of costly exclusions were converted by the Tigers for power play goals to give Pacific the win.

The 49ers jumped all over the Falcons in the second game, outscoring Air Force, 4-1, in the first quarter.

The Beach was unable to expand on its lead, but matched the Falcons’ four goals in the third quarter.

Leading 9-7 going into the fourth, LBSU tightened things up on defense to complete the one-goal victory.

Junior Alexsandr Petrovic led the 49ers in scoring with five goals on the day and freshman Dan Matulis recorded his first two collegiate goals.

LBSU continues action at the NorCal Invitational at noon tomorrow against UC Davis at Diablo Valley College.