Sports, Women's Basketball

Big West Media Day: Women’s basketball outlook

ANAHEIM — The only thing Long Beach State women’s basketball head coach Jody Wynn knew for certain, as of Wednesday, was that she’s far from deciding on a starting lineup.

The hobbled 49ers have six players injured and Wynn said she “anticipates that some will come back at some point” but was still unclear on possible return dates.

“The trainers can’t even tell me when,” she said at Big West Conference Media Day.

Wynn added that the team has brought in males — some from intramural leagues and basketball classes on campus — to compete with the team in practices. But even the practice players have to be academically eligible with the NCAA.

“You’re not practicing to play pick-up [basketball] for yourself, you’re practicing to help the women,” Wynn said of their mentality. “They have to be careful.”

One incoming freshman that is healthy is Janae Coffee, who Wynn expects to “throw into the fire” and give the ‘Niners an inside presence the team lacked last season.

“She’s got great hands, she understands the game pretty well and she’s got a real soft touch,” Wynn said of the 6-foot-3 center.

Around the Big West

A face familiar with the conference, and especially LBSU, is first-year Cal State Northridge head coach Jason Flowers. He was an assistant on the UC Riverside team that won last year’s Big West Tournament, and served as an assistant with the 49ers two seasons ago.

Flowers said his first priority with the Matadors will be to change the mindset of the team.

“We don’t necessarily talk about how many games we’re going to win,” Flowers added. “But, obviously, our expectations for what we do are going to be high. We’re not going to set the bar low.”

Despite winning last year’s Big West Tournament, UCR head coach John Margaritis doesn’t see a target on his team.

“I don’t think it works that way,” he said. “You play one game at a time and you’re either ready, or you’re not.”

A repeat attempt will have to be done with a new leader, however, as the Highlanders will no longer have the services of departed Big West Tournament MVP Amber Cox.

“You don’t fill holes like that,” Margaritis said.

Wynn noted three teams from up north, which weren’t in attendance, as major threats: UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis and Cal Poly.

The Aggies won the Big West regular-season title, the Gauchos eliminated LBSU from the conference tournament and the Mustangs have reigning Big West Player of the Year Kristina Santiago.

“Every team in our conference has an all-conference player, or an honorable mention player, or multiple returning — except for Long Beach State,” Wynn said.