No. 19 USC serves The Beach loss in opener

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team opened the 2011 campaign Friday with a 6-1 loss to No. 19-ranked USC in Los Angeles.

Sophomore Sarah Cantlay rallied to pick up the lone victory for the 49ers, who are ranked 42nd in the nation. In a battle between No. 5 singles players, Cantlay defeated Cristala Andrews, 2-6, 6-3, 11-9, in a super tiebreaker.

Junior Anais Dallara, LBSU’s No. 1 singles performer, lost to USC counterpart Danielle Lao, the 10th-ranked player in the nation. Anais lost the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3.

49ers senior Deborah Armstrong fell to No. 114-ranked Kaitlyn Christian, 6-2, 6-4. Alison Ramos won the other match among the top three, defeating LBSU’s Jaklin Alawi, 6-2, 6-2.

USC’s Valeria Pulido defeated Anna Jeczmionka at No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1, while teammate Lyndsay Kinstler picked up the final singles match at No. 6, beating Julie Luzar 6-3, 7-6.

The Trojans swept in doubles action, as the 11th-ranked tandem of Pulido and Ramos defeated Amstrong and Dallara, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles. Also, Kinstler and Lao took care of Alawi and Jeczmionka, 8-2, while Andrews and Christian edged Cantlay and Luzar, 8-5.

The Beach returns to action Feb. 4 in the Big West Conference opener at Cal State Fullerton.