Men's Water Polo, Sports

No. 12 ‘Niners drop finale of UCI Invitational

No. 12-ranked Long Beach State fell behind by a goal early against the No. 11 San Jose State women’s water polo team, and ultimately lost, 10-8, in the final game of the UC Irvine Invitational.

Meaghan Leonard had a career-high four goals to lead LBSU (4-8).

SJSU took a 3-2 lead in after the first quarter, and held on after a wild finish that saw both teams score four goals in the final period. Adriana Vogt scored a whopping seven goals to lead the Spartans to the win.

In addition to Leonard’s four goals, Krizia Cerda scored a pair for the second game in a row, while Lauren Sieprath and Melissa Matheson also both scored.

The Beach is back in action next Saturday, when the 49ers host No. 1 Stanford, as well as the team’s annual alumni game immediately following. The Stanford game is scheduled to begin at noon.

No. 12 LBSU 6, No. 10 UC Irvine 5 (OT)

Long Beach State stifled a UC Irvine rally, scoring two goals to the Anteaters’ one in overtime to beat the hosts, 6-5, earlier in the day.

Goaltender Kristen Stragier had an outstanding game for ‘Niners, making 14 saves to hold the Anteaters to just four goals in regulation. Her effort, along with the defense, helped the 49ers beat UCI for the first time since 2006.

The 49ers opened an early lead, scoring a pair of goals in the first period to take a 2-0 lead. That would last until halftime, as LBSU held the Anteaters scoreless through the entire first half.

Another two-goal quarter from the 49ers resulted in a lead 4-1 after the third, but UCI scored three goals in the fourth period to force overtime.

The 49ers scored in the first overtime, and equaled the Anteaters in the second overtime to snare the 6-5 win. Krizia Cerda and Lauren Sieprath each scored a pair of goals to lead the 49ers.