Men's Water Polo, Sports

49ers win back-to-back on Day 1 at LMU

The No. 10-ranked Long Beach State women’s water polo team captured back-to-back victories Friday on its first day at the Loyola Marymount Invitational in Los Angeles.

The 49ers held off No. 18 Princeton, 7-5, before routing Sonoma State, 10-2.

In the first match against the Tigers, the 49ers got off to a blazing start as they took an early 5-1 lead at the end of the half.

Princeton then held the ‘Niners scoreless in the third quarter and stormed back to cut the deficit in half.

However, two goals in the fourth quarter for LBSU held off the charge. Freshman Chelsea Parks led the way for The Beach with three goals, including one in the fourth to thwart the rally.

Meanwhile, LBSU goalkeeper Kristen Stragier paced The Beach’s defense with nine saves.

In the second match, the 49ers assembled their best defensive game of the season, limiting Sonoma State to just two goals in a 10-2 blowout.

A balanced attack for the ‘Niners saw eight different players score in the match.

Meanwhile, Stragier allowed just one goal over three periods, and turned over goaltending duties to Kelly Ringel who also allowed just one score.

LBSU will return to action Saturday as it wraps up the LMU Invitational with a pair of matches against the No. 6-host Lions at 10:15 p.m before facing Cal State Bernardino at 2 p.m.