Men's Water Polo, Sports

LBSU comeback not enough in overtime

The No. 13-ranked Long Beach State women’s water polo team rallied from a three-goal deficit at halftime to force overtime Saturday, but ultimately fell short to No. 16 UC Davis in a 9-7 loss on the road.

Trailing 5-2 to start the third quarter, the 49ers (11-14, 0-2 Big West Conference) charged back in the second half as Lauren Sieprath, Krizia Cerda and Julia Garyfallou scored the first three goals of the period to tie the game.

The Aggies (17-10, 1-2 Big West) however, responded when as Carey Faber scored with 2:22 left in the period to take a 6-5 lead.

LBSU’s Chelsea Parks then tied the game at the start of the fourth, while Meaghan Leonard followed with a goal at the 4:36 mark to give The Beach its first lead of the contest.

But the Aggies wouldn’t let up as they stifled LBSU’s momentum with a score at the one minute to force the game into overtime.

The ‘Niners struggled with mounting an offensive rhythm in extra time, while UC Davis would score one goal in each of the overtime periods thanks to Carmen Eggert to take the 9-7 win.

Cerda led the way for The Beach with two goals, while Eggert scored a career-high three goals for the Aggies.

LBSU will return to Big West action at the 49er Campus Pool next weekend for the final three games of the season prior to the start of the Big West Tournament. The 49ers will start play with a Noon contest against UC Santa Barbara on Friday.