Soccer, Sports

Tensions run high in scoreless draw

The 24th-ranked Long Beach State women’s soccer team played to a scoreless, double-overtime draw against the Sacramento State Hornets on Sunday in a highly controversial and physical matchup at George Allen Field.

Already short-handed, the 49ers (4-1-1) had a potential game-winning goal waived off in the 84th minute as referees assessed an offside penalty inside the 6-yard box on sophomore striker Nadia Link.

“I have a feeling I’m going to be sending that in for review,” 49ers head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said. “I don’t think she was [offside] for a second.”

Officials ejected senior defender Chantel Hubbard in the 71st minute after she picked up a red card for an alleged hair-pulling incident that occurred while battling for position with Hornets midfielder Megan Burg. Hubbard also picked up a yellow card earlier in the contest.

For the remaining 40 minutes, the 49ers played with a man down, 11-on-10.

Senior defender Bo Rael immediately approached officials after the incident, seeking an explanation for the call.

“As a captain, I have every right to go and talk to the ref and see what the call was,” Rael said. “I mean that’s not the type of player she is.”

Both teams played aggressively as they combined for 30 fouls, three yellow cards and one red card.

The Hornets’ (1-3-1) best scoring opportunity came within the closing seconds of the second overtime period. Forward Elece McBride delivered a bullet to 49ers goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough, who swiftly dove to her right and deflected the shot.

Kingsborough, who recorded four saves, earned her second shutout of the season. Hornets goalkeeper Savannah Abercrombie posted eight saves en route to her first shutout this season.

“Unfortunately, their goalkeeper had the game of her life today and she came up with some huge saves,” Ingrassia said. “But it happens in soccer and that’s the nature of our game.”

The Beach dominated on both sides of the field with a total of 18 shot attempts and 12 corner kicks for the game, while limiting the Hornets to no shot attempts or corner kicks throughout the entire first half.

“I thought we came out in the first half and pummeled them,” Ingrassia said.

Senior midfielder Lindsay Bullock led the offensive surge for the 49ers with six shot attempts, four of which came on target, while Hornets midfielder Burg posted a team-high three shot attempts.

LBSU looks to return to its winning ways Friday on the road against Saint Mary’s. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Saint Mary’s Stadium in Moraga.