Soccer, Sports

49ers drop regular-season finale in Davis

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team closed out the regular season with a 1-0 loss Sunday against UC Davis at Aggie Soccer Field.

Aggies forward Lisa Kemp delivered the game-winning goal in the 70th minute. Keile Argente sent a cross to the right side of the field to Kemp, who then drilled a shot that found the upper left corner of the net.

The 49ers (12-5-2, 5-2-1 Big West Conference) controlled the tempo of the game from the early going as they fired off five unanswered shots within the first 15 minutes of the first half.

However, The Beach was unable to find the net as it recorded a season-high 23 shots, eight of which were on goal. Meanwhile, the Aggies (7-9-2, 2-5-1 Big West) were held to 10 attempts, two of which were on frame.

LBSU also held the advantage in corner kicks, 8-2.

Senior midfielder Lindsay Bullock paced the ‘Niners with 6 shots, while midfielder Karina Camacho added three.

Senior goalkeeper Kaitlyn Gustaves earned the start in goal and finished with one save in the 49ers’ loss. Maria Magana tallied eight for the Aggies.

LBSU returns to action Thursday as it plays host to third-seeded Cal State Northridge (11-8-0, 5-3-0 Big West) in the semifinals of the Big West tournament. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.