‘Cristela’ has potential, but misrepresents Latinos

ABC’s new sitcom series Cristela starring comedian Cristela Alonzo is now one of the few shows on television to include an all Latino cast.

In the show, Cristela is a recent law school graduate who lands an internship at a law firm called Culpepper and Associates.

The internship is unpaid, and Cristela must resort to living with her mother Natalia, along with her sister, Daniela; her sister’s husband, Felix; and their two children, Henry and Isabella.

The new series appears to be well cast, Cristela’s sassy sister Daniela is portrayed by Maria Canals Barrera, best known for her work in Disney’s “Wizard of Waverly Place,” and Felix is played by Puerto Rican actor and singer, Carlos Ponce.

However, the problem with “ Cristela” is that, rather than propel Latinos forward, it keeps the culture in the same spot of misrepresentation.

“Cristela” was unsuccessful in staying away from the typical Hispanic stereotypes. There are a couple of moments that make certain jokes seem unnecessary.

A scene in which Maddie Culpepper (Justine Lupe), daughter of Trent Culpepper (Sam McMurray) head of the law firm mistakes Cristela as a janitor, is a perfect example of this.

The joke is not as comical as it appears to be and is often overused for those familiar with the misrepresentation of social classes merely base on appearance.

Although the stereotypes are intended to be comedic, the jokes are nothing we haven’t heard before.

A recent study from Columbia University, called “The Latino Media Gap: A Report on the State of Latinos in U.S. Media,” says that not only are there very little Latino leading actors today, but that they are also being misrepresented in the media.

A recent example that comes to mind is Sofia Vergara’s acting in ABC’s “Modern Family,” which has been criticized as being too over the top, and perpetuating a Latina stereotype.

Alonzo attempts to break down certain stereotypes, considering most Latinos on TV are usually cast as criminals, law enforcement, and labor workers; Alonzo made a good choice in writing her character as an aspiring lawyer.

The character of Cristela constantly needs approval from her family and her boss, as if it would be too much to ask to see a woman who is successful without question.

Alonzo has been given an excellent platform by ABC to represent Latinos in the best possible light.

The sitcom could still have a nice run, but only if “Cristela” moves past the overused jokes and clichéd characters.