Music

Couture, Ethos push students fashion forward

Project Ethos is the junction where fashion, art and music cross. Campus Couture is Cal State Long Beach’s display of local talent. At both events, the industry comes together with amateurs and experienced artists alike.

The Avalon and Bardot venue in Hollywood crawled with retailers as Project Ethos began. The venue itself was perfect for a showcase like this, with classic architecture, deep and dark colors, and multiple bars and rooms to fit all the art. A staircase led upstairs to a roaring ‘20s-inspired club with an open-air roof, filled with artists and their artwork. Pieces ranged from traditional paintings and drawings to sculptures and modern art projects.

The fashion show took place Aug. 21 in the main room. The event was huge, a fashion event that any student would give their sewing machine to be showcased at. Bars flanked the sides of the runway featuring a large, red X representing Project Ethos’ 10th event.

Each clothing line had its own little piece of clothing, from swimwear to underwear. Scandalous Social Club’s models threw beach balls out into the crowd displaying a line of T-shirts and beach loungewear.

The models emphasized female empowerment when they walked the runway. Male models escorted the female models wearing the dresses, until the model rejected her escort partway down the runway.

CSULB also provides its own opportunities for fashion students to work in real-life situations with Campus Couture, a fashion show put on by the collaborative efforts of the Family and Consumer Sciences Department.

“It’s a chance to be able to show off what [our] students can do,” Dr. Suzanne Marshall, a faculty advisor, said.

For 22 years, the show has allowed junior and senior designers to showcase some of their projects to be judged. Winning designs are chosen in numerous categories like “most marketable,” “most innovative” and “best in show.” The student committee, who is responsible for organizing and putting on the event, contacts judges who are working members of the industry. Judges and other guests come from a variety of places, like the department’s list of internship sponsors or representatives of Project Ethos.

CSULB alumna Emily Dureault, 25, who graduated in May 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in textiles and clothing, designs Into the Woods clothing.

Combined with extravagant makeup, Into the Woods seemed inspired by ‘20s flappers mixed with a modern punk and grunge twist. But this environment-friendly line gets its vintage look because it consists only of donated clothing.

Dureault takes inspiration from the clothing itself, looking at fabrics and the color to create looks as she reworks and reuses the outfits.

Dureault was working for Campus Couture in 2008 when she heard about Project Ethos from one of the models. One application later, Dureault was rushing through the hustle and craziness backstage, remaining stressed and busy. Dereault had half as many models as she had looks.

Models got ready in pairs, waiting for their turn to walk down the runway. Keeping the flow between changes provided its own challenge but in the end, it’s the experience that counts. Second-time participating designer Jen Prudhome, 23, couldn’t agree more.

“My first Ethos was like my internship … it’s an amazing platform for fashion designers, musicians and artists,” Prudhome said. “You’re coming to see people who really want a break and are given an opportunity to get exposed.”

Prudhome’s line, Jenny P’s, is a “cultural concept” for women in general, promoting self-love and confidence. Drawing from her half Jamaican, half Creole background, there is no stipulation on use of bright, neon and monochromatic color. Tropical weather of Jamaica is year-round, as its use of bright colors in clothing.

“I never saw any guideline saying don’t wear a bright color for fall … it’s ironic that it’s the trend now,” Prudhome said. “Wear your brights … when you want to.”

Prudhome graduated from CSULB in May 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in fashion design and fashion merchandising. Project Ethos founder Jason Peskin presented her work in March 2007 and 2008’s Campus Couture. They asked her to be their fashion coordinator.

“They actually got to me before I got to them,” Prudhome said.

Events like these are beneficial to all students, Marshall said. “It’s important to understand that reality in their careers.”

Both designers got to Campus Couture – and later Project Ethos – through their hard work and dedication. As a piece of advice for up-and-coming fashion hopefuls, Dureault says not to hold back from their dreams.

“Just go for it because you never know,” Dureault said. “Don’t even hesitate.”

Prudhome said, “You shouldn’t wait to become what you dream of after you graduate.”

Article updated Sept. 7, 2009

Video from Project Ethos