Campus, News, Special Projects

CSULB support groups are here for the Beach community

CSULB’s support groups are offered asynchronously this spring semester through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) in order to help students who are struggling with personal issues such as family relationships, loss of motivation and stress.

Brotman Hall is the location of CAPS office room 226
Brotman Hall is the location of CAPS office room 226. Photo credit: Cindy Aguilera

CAPS also offers counseling services for students who are “struggling with romantic relationships, life transitions, sexuality, grief, stress” and other personal matters, according to their homepage.

The following support groups are a list of spaces students can RSVP for via email or through Beach Sync. A full list of these events and other online groups is available through CAPS’ online therapy groups page as well as drop-in spaces.

Login to your BeachSync and RSVP online groups
Login to your BeachSync and RSVP online groups Photo credit: Cindy Aguilera

Mondays

“Grieving with Grace: Conversations about learning to live after loss” meets from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. once a month and begins on Feb. 7, 2022.

“Rainbow Café: An Inclusive Space in Support of (a)Sexual, (a)Gender and (a)Romantic Diversity” takes place in-person every Monday from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Multicultural Center (FO-Room 2).

Here you can attend the Rainbow Cafe meeting Mondays at 3:30pm
Students can attend the Rainbow Cafe meetings on Mondays at 3:30 p.m. at the Office of Multicultural Center in room two. Photo credit: Cindy Aguilera

Tuesdays

Butterfly Healing Circle: Undoc/DACA support group led by UndocuAllies’ meets once a month. For more information, email Nidia Moran at [email protected] for dates and location.

“Black Table Talk: A Space for Conversations about Race and Other Issues Impacting Black Students” meets from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. twice a month starting on Feb. 25.

“Creating Connection for Asian, Asian American and Pacific Islander Students: A Conversation space Asian, Asian American and Pacific Islander students to connect across diverse lived experiences” meets from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. via Zoom.

Wednesdays

Buddies Connect @ the Beach: Meet other students, build community, get resources, and de-stress” takes place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. every week.

“It’s Been A While: Resources & community building for re-entering & non-traditional aged students” takes place from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. every week.

Thursdays

“First at the Beach: A support space for first-generation college students at CSULB.” meets from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. every week.

“Thoughtful Thursday: Guided mindfulness and meditation” meets from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every week on Zoom.

“Sisterfriends: A supportive networking group for Black women (led by Women’s & Gender Equity Center)” meets over Zoom from 1 p.m. to 2:30 pm every week.

“Latinas @ the Beach: A space to connect with other Latinas” meets from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. every week three times a month over zoom and in-person in the University Student Union (USU) starting on Feb. 24. To sign up, email [email protected].

Latinas @ the Beach meets on Thursdays at 3 p.m. at the USU.
Here Latinas @ the Beach will meet Thursdays at 3pm Photo credit: Cindy Aguilera

If students prefer one-on-one services, CAPS offers resources such as Crisis Intervention to speak immediately due to urgent matters such as extreme sadness, panic attacks or thoughts of self-harm.

CAPS’ Initial consultations can set students up to meet a counselor one-on-one regularly, as well as short-term counseling, case management, and other resources.

CAPS is located in Brotman Hall room 226 and abides by university and county safety guidelines. Most services are currently remote, so students can call CAPS at (562) 985-4001 or email at [email protected] to set up a one-on-one appointment.

For updates and upcoming events, follow CAPS on Instagram at @csulbcaps.