Students for Students Party unite platforms

Hello 49ers, we are the Students for Students Party and we consist of a group of diverse individuals that believes our campus deserves a student government that serves students better.

We offer ideas that will bring positive change to our campus, and we have the experience and the goals to take Associated Students Inc. to a new level of student government in which serving students will be the number one priority. We are ready to make a difference on this campus, but we can’t do it without your help, so make your voices heard and vote on April 13-15.

Raul Preciado for ASI president

Hello my name is Raul Preciado and I’m running for ASI president because I want to see ASI do more for students. I’m a third year political science major and I’ve been involved on this campus since my freshman year.

I have served in the ASI Senate as a senator-at-large and also as the senator for the College of Liberal Arts. This past year, I have been involved with the College of Liberal Arts College Council serving as vice president.

Together with the Students for Students Party I want to focus on helping students save money through a textbook exchange website and a book loan program. I want to improve communication with students so more students know about the great things ASI already offers and so ASI can learn about what students need.

We will improve communication by going to the places where students spend a good deal of their time. ASI needs to have a greater presence online on MySpace and Facebook, and we’re going to make that happen.

I’m going to fight for students in Sacramento and in Long Beach so we can stop tuition increases. We will visit politicians more often; we will bring them to our campus so we can hold them accountable.

These are just some of the actions we plan to take if elected. Our platform is simple; we plan to help students, communicate with students and fight for students. I realize that every year candidates make promises that often go unfulfilled, but I guarantee you I’m not that kind of candidate.

I’m asking you for the opportunity to change the way ASI works so more students can get involved and so more students can benefit from ASI programs. The power of ASI doesn’t lie with one person; it lies with every student. “We are ASI” and together we can build a better campus.

Zo Farooqui for ASI vice president

Hey this is Zo Farooqui; I am running for vice president of ASI. I am part of the Students for Students Party. We are a diverse group of individuals that have come together with similar goals.

After a fulfilling year as a senator-at-large, I feel that my purpose at this great university is to serve the students to the best of my ability. I believe that if elected as ASI vice president, I will bridge the gap between the students and ASI.

I have always felt that ASI can do more for the students and my main focus is communication. What I want to do to get students to be more aware about ASI is, first, I want to install a camera at the Senate meetings that will broadcast live feeds via online and at the University Student Union. This will allow students to view laws and bylaws that may affect them.

They can voice their opinions to their senators, or walk down to the Senate chambers and be heard by the Senate. Secondly, I know that there are more than 300 organizations on campus; I want to organize a committee that will visit these organizations and find out their needs.

We don’t have all the answers, but we will make sure we ask all the right questions. Also, this will not be a one-time visit; we will be frequently visiting so everyone is heard.

Lastly, I know that as your vice president I will meet your expectations and, hopefully, change your views about ASI. Thank you for all your support and remember to vote Students for Students.

James Kuang for ASI treasurer

Hello fellow 49ers, my name is James Kuang and I am running for treasurer as part of the Students for Students Party because I believe together we will make a positive impact on this campus.

As some of you may or may not know, every semester you pay $50 to ASI along with your tuition. As treasurer, I want you to get the most out of it. You deserve the best at Cal State Long Beach.

I will see to it that your funds are spent wisely and ensure every dollar goes back to the students. I will balance the budget and eliminate unnecessary spending in this time of economic downturn to avoid making any cuts that will affect students.

I am in a student organization myself and I understand the importance of ASI funding, so I do not want to see any organizations lose funding. Politicians in Sacramento have been making budget cuts too frequently, but that is something I will not do to students here at CSULB.

Right now, more than ever, budget cuts greatly affect us so together we need to let Sacramento know that our education is worth the investment. I am sick of seeing tuition rise and expensive textbooks that many don’t have the income to keep up with.

I will take the first step in helping students by working to introduce a textbook exchange program through ASI that will be safe and reliable for students, which will help save money. We need to start looking out for the interest of students and not textbook companies.
So if elected treasurer, I will look out for the interest of students and spend your funds wisely. I will carry out my duties to the fullest extent and be accountable for every dollar because you deserve the best at CSULB.