Men's Golf, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Sept. 1

Former UCLA player comes to financial aid agreement

Nicole Sweetman has signed a financial aid agreement to play for Long Beach State, women’s soccer head coach Mauricio Ingrassia announced Saturday.

The 5-foot-4 forward played her freshman season for the Bruins, advancing to the NCAA Women’s College Cup. She appeared in two matches in 2007, recording one assist. Sweetman redshirted the 2008 season.

The Oxnard native was rated a top-50 recruit by Soccer Buzz magazine coming out of high school. She was a United States National Team pool player from 2003-04 and led the Eagles Soccer Club to a pair of national championships.

Sweetman played three years at Oaks Christian High School, helping the Lions win two California Intercollegiate Federation championships.

LBSU alum Goydos comes up short in The Barclays

Former 49er Paul Goydos was dropped from the top of the leaderboard into a tie for ninth at The Barclays golf tournament after leading for the first three rounds.

Goydos took a 9-under par lead – which he shared with Steve Marino – into Sunday, but carded a 4-over 75 in the final round to fall behind the likes of Tiger Woods and Ernie Els.

The Wilson High School graduate had three bogeys and one double bogey on the third hole at Liberty National Golf Club, whose backdrop features the Statue of Liberty.

Heath Slocum captured the title as he posted a 9-under mark with a 4-under 67 performance in the final round.

Goydos, who has two career PGA Tour victories, gained notoriety in 2008 when he sported a Long Beach State hat at The Players Championship after his contract with his sponsor, Pep Boys, ran out.