Men's Golf, Sports

Beach women’s golf finishes in 13th place

The 49er women’s golf team placed 13th at the two-day Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic in Fort Collins, Colo. after firing a three-round score of 35-over-par.

LBSU shot its best round of the tournament by carding a 9-over 297 final round score — improving on its 14-over 302 first round and 12-over 300 second. The highest individual score is dropped when calculating the team’s overall score for that round.

Lindsey McAtee was the lone 49er to shoot below par in the final round. The junior fired a 2-under 70 to improve her tournament score to 8-over, finishing in a five-way tie for 40th.

McAtee teed off her final round with a par on the 14th hole. She birdied the 15th and second holes, going bogey-less through her first eight holes of play until recording back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 4 and 5.

She recovered with a pair of birdies at Nos. 8 and 9 before shooting par in her last four holes.

Simone Hoey, who entered Tuesday at even par, shot a 5-over 77 final round to finish tied for 29th. Hoey started her day with a birdie on the 13th hole, but fired double bogeys on the 16th and 18th, with a bogey at No. 17 sandwiched in between.

Her round also included a birdie at No. 5 and back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 7 and 8.

Noelle Zavaleta, who finished 29th overall, carded a 2-over 74 final round to complete the tournament at 5-over. The Boise State transfer double bogeyed the 13th, but recovered to birdie the next hole. She also sank a birdie on the second, and had bogeys on Nos. 4 and 12.

Senior Brenda Chhuor finished in a tie for 66th after she shot a 4-over final round to finish at 17-over for the tournament. Chhuor’s round included an eagle at No. 2. Reina Rogers registered a 5-over 77 to wrap up the tournament at 22-over and finish in a tie for 77th.

Louisville’s Laura Anderson won the individual championship after firing 10-under for the tournament. She beat out New Mexico’s Jodi Ewart by three strokes.

The University of Idaho captured the team title with a score of 5-under, edging out host Colorado State by four shots.

The 49ers’ will next participate in the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Wash. From Oct. 5-7. The team’s final tournament of the fall will be at the Hawaii Invitational in Oahu from Nov. 2-4.