Men's Golf, Sports

LBSU finishes Day 1 in 9th place

Long Beach State’s women’s golf team struggled to a 9th place finish Monday after the first round of the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Wash.

The 49ers shot 34-over-par 322 on the 6,136-yard, par-72 course at the Sahalee Country Club. The No. 13-ranked California Golden Bears topped the 13-team field with a 9-over par 297, leaving them four shots ahead of the University of San Francisco.

Sophomore transfer Noelle Zavaleta led all ‘Niners with a 6-over 78 scorecard. Zavaleta, who finished in a four-way tie for 20th, drained a pair of birdies on the front nine.

USF’s Natasha Podmore currently tops the individual leaderboard with an even-par first round to give her a one-shot lead over four others.

Junior Reina Rogers and senior Brenda Chhuor each carded 9-over 81 scores (t-38th) for The Beach. Rogers birdied the 17th hole on the way to her total, while Chhuor birdied Nos. 1, 3 and 13.

Freshman Simone Hoey, who was plagued by six bogeys, finished a shot behind the duo at 10-over 82 (t-49th).

Redshirt freshman Reece Feducia, competing in her first collegiate tournament, double bogeyed three of her first seven holes — and finished with five in total — to end the round at 17-over 89 (t-68th).

The tournament field consists of six teams ranked within the national Top 50.

The 49ers tee off in second round action Tuesday morning, with final round action scheduled for Wednesday.