Men's Golf, Sports

Men’s golf in 5th place after Round 2 suspended

The Long Beach State men’s golf team sits in fifth place at the Del Walker Intercollegiate Golf Classic after round two was suspended Thursday due to darkness.

The 49ers carded a 1-over-par 351 at the Virginia Country Club, with second-round play scheduled to resume Friday morning at 8:30 a.m.

LBSU was paced by senior Michael Drake, who currently sits in a tie for fifth at 6-under par. After taking a 2-under score into round two, Drake kicked off his second round with a birdie on the fourth hole and followed it up with birdies at No. 6, 10 and 12 before play was halted.

“I stayed composed. I got out to a decent start [and] was hitting the ball pretty good,” Drake said. “I didn’t find it again until about the seventh hole of the second round. But I was able to keep getting up-and-down, making lots of putts.”

Freshman Benjamin Lein is in a four-way tie for 11th at 3-under par. Lein carded a 1-under score in round one and completed 15 holes in round two, posting birdies at Nos. 11 and 13.

Steve Gibson is in a tie for 30th after finishing round one tied for eighth. Gibson bogeyed Nos. 3, 4, and 7 — to supplement a double bogey at the fifth hole — before recovering with birdies on Nos. 8 and 11 to finish his day.

“Steve Gibson and Mike Drake and Ben Lein had solid under-par rounds, so that helped us out a bit,” LBSU head coach Bill Poutre said. “We just left a few shots out there.”

Sophomore Kevin Roy is positioned in a tie for 52nd after taking a 4-over score into the clubhouse. Philip Chian and Raymond Ho are tied for 66th at 6-over par. Chian has three holes remaining in the second round, while Ho has six left to play.

No. 41 Colorado State currently leads the 16-team field at 12-under par, three strokes ahead of No. 14 Oregon before play was stopped.

“I think Virginia Country Club ought to send membership bills [to Colorado State] because they’ve won [this tournament] two years in a row and are dominating again,” Poutre joked.

Daniel Cone of Saint Mary’s College sits atop the individual leaderboard with a 9-under score, protecting a one-shot lead over Scott Clayton of UC Riverside.

“We played pretty well. We left a few out on the golf course in the morning,” Poutre said. “[We] probably could’ve finished our morning round a little bit better. But all-in-all, we played pretty well.

“We’ve got to close out our rounds, we’ve got to do all the little things right [tomorrow].”

Final round action is slated for Friday morning after the completion of round two. Visit golfstat.com for live updates of the tournament.

Managing editor Tracy McDannald contributed to this report.