Men's Golf, Sports

Ressa named new men’s golf coach

The Long Beach State men’s golf team has found its new coach just over a month after the resignation of Bill Poutre,

Athletic director Vic Cegles announced Ryan Ressa as the newest head coach to hit The Beach on Thursday. Ressa was most recently an assistant at UCLA, but also had stints at Duke, the University of San Diego and Washington.

“His experiences coaching nationally ranked teams and involving community in the effort will be a great asset as we continue to pursue championships and national recognition,” Cegles said.

Last year the Bruins finished as the seventh-ranked team in the nation, according to Golfstat.

The 49ers signed the No.1 international recruit – according to Golfweek’s rankings – Chien Yao (Alan) Hung out of Taipei, Taiwan earlier this year.

Poutre announced his resignation after two seasons at the helm on May 30, and an immediate search for his replacement began. The second-year head coach cited spending more time with his family as one of the reasons he decided to leave The Beach.

Ressa, 30, graduated from Washington State in 2003 and was a two-year letter winner for the Cougars, after spending two years at the College of the Desert.