Men's Golf, Sports

Women’s golfers tied for 6th after Round 1

The Long Beach State women’s golf team finished up round one shooting 4-over-par 292 at the Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic in Colorado on Monday, leaving them tied for sixth with Fresno State.

Baylor University led the 17-team field with a team score of 6-under 282, followed closely by Colorado, which was six shots behind.

Freshman Rochelle Chan led the 49ers, shooting even across the board and finishing with a 72. Chan stands tied for 16th out of the field of 95 individual golfers.

Sophomore Monica Villarreal and junior Noelle Zavaleta tied for 21st, both shooting 1-over 73. Villarreal birdied four of the 18 holes, while Zavaleta birdied holes 2, 10 and 16.

LBSU’s Simone Hoey completed the round tied for 29th at 2-over 74. Reina Rogers rounded out the team score, finishing tied for 45th at 4-over 76.

Kimberly Kaufman of Texas Tech led by two shots after round one, shooting 5-under 67. Kaufman birdied six of the 18 holes, and bogeyed just one hole.

The second round was expected to be played later in the day. The final round is scheduled for Tuesday at 7:30 a.m.