Soccer, Sports

Bullock wins Big West Midfielder of the Year

Long Beach State senior Lindsay Bullock was the named the Big West Conference Midfielder of the Year for the second time in her career Tuesday.

Bullock, who also won the award in 2008, joined teammates Shawna Gordon and Nadia Link on the All-Big West First Team. It was the third career first-team honor for Bullock, second for Gordon and first for Link.

Defenders Alex Balcer and Bo Rael were named to the second team, while juniors Nicole Hubbard and Emily Kingsborough were honorable mention selections.

Bullock led the 49ers in shot attempts (54) and finished second on the team in goals (7) and points (16). Six of her goals came in Big West play, including a hat trick against Cal State Fullerton on Oct. 17.

Link led the ‘Niners with eight goals and 17 points in a breakout season. The sophomore was earned CollegeSoccer360.com player of the week, as well as the Big West’s weekly honor, after a four-goal weekend (Aug. 23-29).

Gordon scored four goals, added seven assists and compiled 15 points for The Beach. She was also selected as one of CollegeSoccer360.com’s primetime performers in early October.

Balcer and Rael started every game this season and helped the 49ers post a 1.02 goals against average. Rael also recorded the game-winning goal against No. 11 UC Irvine in the Big West tournament championship game last Sunday.

Hubbard netted three goals and eight points this year, while Kingsborough posted 72 saves and was named the conference tournament’s most valuable player.

LBSU (14-5-2), which won the program’s first-ever Big West tournament title, will face No. 19 Santa Clara in the opening round of the NCAA tournament Friday in Palo Alto, Calif., at 4:30 p.m.