Soccer, Sports

Beach soccer comes up short against No. 12 Marquette

Just two days removed from suffering its first loss of the season, the No. 23-ranked Long Beach State women’s soccer team was handed a 2-1 loss to No. 12 Marquette on the final day of the Milwaukee Cup on Sunday at Valley Fields in Wisconsin.

Junior forward Nadia Link netted her second goal of the weekend, while classmate Alex Balcer registered her first assist of the season. Senior goalkeeper Kaitlyn Gustaves played all 90 minutes in between the posts, compiling a career-high seven saves.

Marquette (4-0-0) struck first, taking a 1-0 lead on Maegan Kelly’s tally at the 4:23 mark. The 49ers eventually responded in the 39th minute when Balcer sent a free kick into the box where Link headed it to the far post. It was Link’s 10th career goal and second of the season.

The Golden Eagles went on to break the tie in the second half as Rachael Sloan beat two LBSU defenders before making a short pass to Lisa Philbin, who notched the game-winner.

Marquette out shot LBSU, 15-5, and owned a narrow 3-to-2 edge in corner kicks. Senior Shawna Gordon paced the 49ers with two shot attempts.

LBSU will return to George Allen Field next weekend when it plays host to Princeton and Hawaii. The 49ers are slated to face the Tigers on Friday at 5 p.m., before taking on the Rainbow Wahine on Sunday at 1 p.m.