Soccer, Sports

‘Niners miss key opportunities in 1-1 draw against SDSU

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team recorded their first draw of the season as the 49ers played to a 1-1 double-overtime tie against host San Diego State on Sunday at SDSU’s Sports Deck in San Diego.

Senior forward Nicole Sweetman scored the 49ers‘ lone goal in the second half (52:30) as she was located right in front of the net from two-yards out.

It was an evenly played first half between the 49ers and Aztecs as both teams went into halftime scoreless. LBSU (4-3-1) won the battle in shot attempts, 7-5, but the Aztecs held a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks. The 49ers tallied seven shots, four of which were on target.

With 18:24 left in the first half, junior forward Nadia Link shot the ball from 15 yards out to the right side into the box where senior Shawna Gordon just missed scoring into the corner of the net. The 49ers then came close to scoring again with the last five minutes left in the half as Gordon’s shot from 10 yards out with 3:28 left just missed the right corner of the net.

In the 69th minute, the Aztecs’ Hannah Keane tied the score as she was located in front of the net from 10 yards out and shot the ball over the hands of 49ers goalkeeper Kaitlyn Gustaves

In the first overtime, both teams would record one shot a piece, while the Aztecs (4-2-2) had one corner kick.

The 49ers came close to scoring in the second overtime period as Sweetman passed the ball to Hubbard as she shot the ball from about 10 yards out down the middle of the box.

Gustaves  tallied six saves for the game.

“It was a good battle between two solid squads,” LBSU head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said. “I thought there was a [penalty kick] that should have been called with five minutes left in the game or at least two of them in which you hope one of them would have been called.

“But this is what happens when you’re away from home and you have to deal with it and overcome the adversity. I’m proud of my team and proud of their effort as they battled hard and we’re going to be better because of this game.”

The 49ers will return to the San Diego area Friday to play the University of San Diego. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.