Soccer, Sports

Junior forward nets lone goal in victory over San Diego

Junior forward Nadia Link’s goal in the 14th minute was all the Long Beach State women’s soccer team needed as it picked up a much-needed 1-0 victory over the University of San Diego on Friday at Torero Stadium.

With the win, the 49ers improved to 5-3-1 on the year after going winless in their last two contests. The Toreros, which received votes in the latest NSCAA/adidas national poll, dropped to 5-4-0.

Link notched her team-best seventh goal of the season and 15th of her career as she moved into a tie for seventh place for most goals in school history. Both freshman Taylor Nelson and senior Shawna Gordon were credited with an assist.

Senior Kaitlyn Gustaves picked up her third shutout as she finished with two saves.

USD came out of the gates with two shots that both went high. The 49ers then answered as they scored on their first attempt of the night. At the 13:25 mark, Gordon passed the ball to Nelson, who set up Link inside the box. Link was then able to find the corner netting from about 10 yards out.

LBSU totaled eight shot attempts, including three on frame. Link and senior Nicole Hubbard both led the 49ers with three shots apiece.

San Diego had 11 shots and held a 6-to-1 advantage in corner kicks.

LBSU will returns to George Allen Field on Sunday to host Saint Mary’s at 1 p.m.