Soccer, Sports

Link erupts in nonconference finale against UNLV

Junior forward Nadia Link had two second-half goals to lift the Long Beach State women’s soccer team to a 4-1 victory over UNLV on Friday at George Allen Field.

LBSU (7-3-1), which was coming off a 6-0 rout of Saint Mary’s last Sunday, continued its offensive parade as it has registered 12 goals over the last four matches. On the season, the 49ers have found the back of the net a Big West-leading 26 times.

In addition to Link’s two tallies, senior Nicole Sweetman registered a goal and an assist, while Nicole Hubbard scored her fourth goal in the last two games. Seniors Shawna Gordon and Sidney Garza and sophomore Kelsey Wilson also had an assist in the win.

Link now has a team-high 10 goals and is just the seventh 49er to reach double figures in scoring since the program was reinstated in 1998. With eight regular season games remaining, she is on pace to break the single-season record of 16, which was established by Annette Fernandez in 1984.

Senior Kaitlyn Gustaves compiled two saves as she picked up her seventh victory. Gustaves allowed just one goal on a penalty kick in the 65th minute.

Long Beach came out attacking after the half with Link finding the back of the net just one minute into the second period. On a throw-in, Garza gave the ball to Link on the right side of the box. Link then made a move on her defender before sending a well-placed shot to the upper left corner to break the scoreless game open.

UNLV (3-7-1) evened the score at the 65th minute when LBSU defender Jordan Nelson committed a foul in the box. Katherine Orellana converted on the penalty kick for the Rebels to make it 1-1.

The 49ers then put together a late rally to run away with the 4-1 victory. Link scored the go-ahead goal in the 71st minute as she took a cross from Wilson in the middle of the box and sent the ball to the lower right netting.

LBSU quickly put the game out of reach, striking again just 35 seconds later. The play started with Gordon passing the ball up to Sweetman on the left side, who gave it up to Hubbard in the box. On one touch, Hubbard sent a shot to the upper right corner.

Long Beach’s final tally came at the 74:38 mark when Sweetman buried her second goal of the season after a scramble in front of the net.

The 49ers owned a 16-to-8 advantage in shots and held a 4-0 edge in corner kicks. Hubbard registered a game-high five attempts, while Gordon finished with four.

In the LBSU career record books, Link is now tied for sixth with 18 goals, while Hubbard moved into a tie for 10th (14). Gordon also moved up one spot on the all-time assists list as she is tied for third with 21 in her career.

LBSU will return to action next weekend when it begins Big West Conference play on the road at UC Santa Barbara on Friday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.