Soccer, Sports

LBSU ties single-game program record for goals – again

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team tied a single-game program record for goals scored for the second time this season in a 6-0 drubbing of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Sunday at Alex G. Spanos Stadium.

The last time the 49ers scored six goals was when they defeated St. Mary’s by the same score on Sept. 18.

LBSU (9-3-1, 2-0-0 Big West), which completed a road sweep in its first weekend of Big West Conference play, extended its winning-streak to five games with the win over the Mustangs (7-5-1, 1-1-0 Big West).

The 49ers have registered at least four goals in three of its last four games and scored 19 times over its five-match win streak en route to a conference-best 34 goals on the season.

Senior midfielder Shawna Gordon led the way with two goals and an assist, while Marysol Rosas also finished with two tallies. Junior forward Nadia Link had a goal and two assists and senior Nicole Sweetman also found the back of the net. Freshman Ashley Roese notched her first career points with a pair of assists, while Taylor Nelson and Sierra Mack added one apiece.

The 49ers struck early as Sweetman found the back of the net in the 12th minute. Gordon set up Link, whose shot was deflected to Sweetman for the finish.

Long Beach tacked on one more before the break. At the 31:01 mark, Sierra Mack passed the ball to Gordon who sent a shot from about 12 yards out to the left netting.

LBSU dominated possession in the first period, out shooting the Mustangs, 8-to-3, with all eight of its attempts coming on frame.

The 49ers picked up where they left off after intermission with Link putting LBSU on top, 3-0. She beat Cal Poly goakeeper Brooke Gauvin with a great move in a one-on-one situation for her Big West leading 11th goal of the season.

Gordon then netted her second goal of the game and seventh of the year in the 77th minute as she launched a shot over Gauvin from about 20 yards out.

Rosas then struck twice over a three-minute span to cap the scoring parade. The goals marked the first two of the season for Rosas.

LBSU fired off a season-high 19 shots, nine of which were on target, while holding Cal Poly to just nine attempts.

Senior Kaitlyn Gustaves anchored the defense with five saves as she picked up her fifth shutout of the year.

LBSU will return to action next Sunday when it faces Cal State Fullerton for its Big West home opener. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at George Allen Field.