Soccer, Sports

LBSU looks to preserve unblemished record in Big West this weekend

After a wild opening week of Big West Conference play, the Long Beach State women’s soccer team will hope to remain as the only unbeaten team in the conference this weekend.

The 49ers will play host to Cal State Fullerton on Sunday at George Allen Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.

The ‘Niners (9-3, 2-0 Big West), which are riding a six-game unbeaten streak, also cracked the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll at No. 23 on Tuesday.

The feat marked the first time this season that the 49ers have been ranked in the NSCAA top 25. The ‘Niners are also the highest ranked team in the Big West thanks to a pair of wins over UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo last weekend and UC Irvine’s surprising 0-1-1 start in conference play.

UCI, which fell out of the top 25 rankings for the first time this season, was ranked No. 19 before losing to the University of the Pacific in double overtime and playing to an overtime draw against UC Davis.

Fullerton (6-5-2, 1-1-0 in the Big West), however, will be seeking to carry its momentum into Sunday’s game against The Beach after notching a 2-1 overtime victory over UCSB last weekend.

The last meeting between the 49ers and Titans resulted in a 5-2 victory for LBSU in the two teams’ only meeting last season.

Fullerton has been playing well as of late, though, posting a 5-1-1 record in its last seven matches after a dismal 1-4-1 start. The Titans also had a near monumental upset earlier in the season as coming up just short in an overtime loss to No. 8 Pepperdine.

Fullerton, ranks fifth in the nine-team conference in goals (19) and fourth in goals allowed per game (1.08) has also played in eight overtime contests this season where it holds a record of 3-3-2.

A potential threat for the ‘Niners is Fullerton forward Ann Marie Tangorra who is tied for 8th in the Big West in goals (5) and 7th in points (13). The Titans also have three other players with three goals and goalkeeper Lindsey Maricic has posted three shutouts on the year.

Meanwhile, senior midfielder Shawn Gordon has been key in the 49ers’ strong start in conference play, scoring three goals, including a game winner in overtime against UCSB. Gordon also leads the Big West in assists (8) and is tied for second only to teammate Nadia Link in goals (7) and points (22). Link has 11 goals on the year and is second in assists (7).

The 49ers, which are on pace to break a single-season school record for goals (44), also lead the Big West with 34 scores and 0.92 goals allowed average.