Soccer, Sports

‘Niners bounce back with Sweetman’s game-winner

After back-to-back shutout losses, the Long Beach State women’s soccer team managed to post a shutout of its own in a 1-0 win over UC Riverside on Friday afternoon at George Allen Field.

Senior forward Nicole Sweetman delivered the game-winning goal in the 75th minute. Freshman midfielder Taylor Nelson streaked up the middle of the field and had her shot blocked, but the ball was rebounded by Sweetman who scored easily.

“It was everything,” Sweetman said about her goal “Excitement, relief, it was a big game and when that goal went in we were all very excited.”

With her game-winning goal, Sweetman posted her fourth tally of the year, doubling her total from last season.

“[Sweetman’s] a ball of energy,” LBSU head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said. “She has so much heart [and] so much bite. When we need energy, we stick her in there and she generates it for us.”

The 49ers (11-5-1, 4-2 Big West) were held in a scoreless tie with the Highlanders for the first 74 minutes of the match. The Beach missed several opportunities before their first goal, including a shot by senior forward Shawna Gordon that went off of the top crossbar of the goal. Gordon’s shot came from deep on the right side of the field and the near spectacular goal drew groans of disappointment from the crowd.

In the 49th minute, senior defender Jazz Strozier was able to squeak a pass to Nadia Link in the goal box but Link’s resulting shot was knocked away by a UCR defender in the goal. In the game, 49ers outshot the Highlanders 15 to 6, with none of UCR’s shots coming on goal.

UCR (7-8-1, 2-3 Big West) was shutout for a loss for the second straight time and remains in fifth place in the Big West Conference standings. The Highlanders have three games remaining in conference play, two of which are against opponents who have defeated The Beach last weekend (UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge).

Both teams attempted to establish their dominance throughout the game in a physical affair where 25 total fouls were called. This came as no surprise, however, as the ‘Niners and UC Riverside are second and third, respectively in fouls committed in the Big West this season.

The fouls did not come without a price as three 49ers took hard falls during the match. Sidney Garza and Nicole Hubbard both went down, but were able to get up on their own power. However, senior midfielder Marysol Rosas was battling for a ball and injured her right leg in the 22nd minute. Rosas, who has two goals and an assist this season, had to be helped off the field and was on crutches after the game.

“We don’t think it’s an ACL tear but, we will see,” Ingrassia said of Rosas’ injury.

The Beach will be back in action next Friday when it takes on the UC Davis at George Allen Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m