Soccer, Sports

Link nabs Big West weekly honor

Long Beach State junior forward Nadia Link was named the Big West Conference Women’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.

It marks the second weekly honor for Link this season and third of her career.

Link helped the LBSU women’s soccer team lock up the No. 2 seed and home field advantage in the semifinals of Big West Tournament as she played a part in five of the 49ers‘ six goals in key wins over UC Davis and the University of the Pacific this past weekend.

She started the weekend with two assists in a 2-0 victory over the Aggies. Two days later, Link matched her best point total of the season in a single game with two goals and a helper in a 4-2 win against Pacific. She found the back of the net in the seventh minute before connecting for the game-winner at the 78:15 mark after the Tigers tied it up at 2-2 in the 73rd minute.

On the weekend, Link led LBSU in goals (2), assists (3), points (7), and shot attempts (9).

Link is also in the midst of one of the greatest seasons in LBSU history. She leads the Big West in goals (14), assists (10) and points (38), and ranks among the top three in the LBSU single-season record books in each of those categories. She is just the third 49er in school history, and the first since the program was reinstated in 1998, to register double figures in both goals and assists.

LBSU (13-5-1) will return to action on Thursday when it hosts a Big West Tournament semifinal game against Cal State Northridge at 2 p.m. at George Allen Field.