Soccer, Sports

Link garners Third-Team All-America honors

Long Beach State junior forward Nadia Link was named to the 2011 National Soccer Coaches Association of America NCAA Women’s Division I All-America Team as announced by the NSCAA.

Link, who was selected to the third team, became the third All-American in school history, while she is the first 49er to garner the honor from the NSCAA.

Kim Silos and Haley Bolt are the only other two players to earn the national recognition as they were both selected to the Soccer Buzz Freshman All-America Team in 2005.

LBSU had its best season in program history as it established school records in wins (18), goals (49), assists (52) and points (150). The 49ers‘ historical season culminated in their second consecutive Big West Conference Tournament title and first-ever appearance in the NCAA Elite Eight. LBSU picked up its first NCAA wins by defeating No. 7 Pepperdine, Miami and San Diego in a Cinderella run that put them into the quarterfinals.

Link played a key role in the team’s success in 2011 as she amassed a Big West leading 16 goals, 10 assists and 42 points. The Rowland Heights, Calif., native tied the 27-year old school record for goals in a season and became just the third 49er, and first since the program was reinstated in 1998, to reach double figures in goals and assists. She also ranked among the top 15 in the nation in those two categories.

For her efforts, Link was tabbed the Big West Offensive Player of the Year, and was also a first-team All-Big West and NSCAA All-West Region selection.

Link will enter her senior season ranked among the LBSU top 10 in career shot attempts (fourth, 130), points (fifth, 59), goals (sixth, 24) and assists (tied for ninth, 11).